Whenever we apply for a job these days, the first and foremost thing we need is a document that lists all the details about us. It is required so that the recruiter can get to know all the information about us in one go. It is the basis on which we present ourselves to others. And it is the basis on which our prospective employer decides about our fate. In other words, it plays a major role in any recruitment process.
Commonly we call such a document a resume or a CV. But a fact unknown to most of us is that resume and CV are two different things used differently. Now let us see what is the difference between cv and resume.
CURRICULUM VITAE (CV)
- A CV is a document that is about two to five pages in length.
- It summarizes the entire career of a person i.e all the academic details and prior work experience info.
- But along with this, it also contains information such as extracurricular activities a person participated in, his/her hobbies and interests, long term career goal, awards, scholarships,entrepreneurship achievements etc.
- All the details in a cv are organised in a chronological order.
- Once a cv is made, you don’t need to change it again and again for each type of a job.
- A resume is a shorter version of a CV. This is usually not longer than one page.
- This document is not as general as a CV is. It is edited each time we apply for a different job.
- This is because when we make a resume for ourselves, we need to keep in mind the job post for which we are applying.
- So unlike a CV, resume should contain only career centric information such as prior experience,educational details,skills etc.
TIPS TO MAKE A GOOD CV/RESUME
TIP 1 : MIND THE LENGTH!!
If it is a resume, try to finish it up in a page and if it is a CV don’t make it longer than 3-5 pages. Nobody has got the time to read a long story. So be short and precise.
TIP 2 : MAKE IT LOOK ATTRACTIVE.
You should know how to sell yourself. Everybody makes a CV/resume but yours should stand out from the others. Then only there is a better chance of your selection. So try to make an eye-catchy document that sets you apart from the others.
TIP 3 : NO GRAMMATICAL/SPELLING MISTAKES
Just make sure this never happens!!
TIP 4 : STATE ONLY WHAT IS IMPORTANT
Don’t go overboard by stating anything and everything. List down the things you wish to specify. And select those seem more imporant and relevant.
TIP 5 : STATE ONLY WHAT IS TRUE
You should be able to justify everything that you have stated in your resume/cv. So never try to be fake!
TIP 6 : PROPER FORMAT
Your cv/resume should have a proper format. It should be ordered and systematized with proper spacing. Use bullet points as far as possible.
TIP 7 : HIGHLIGHT ACCOMPLISHMENTS
This is very important as you need to tell the other person what you have achieved so far in your life. So state your accomplishments explicitly.
Do keep these tips in your mind while preparing a CV/Resume and then you’re good to go!!